I thought I'd update my findings yet again with the "latest" info.
After running the UCLE2 modem for a day or so, the problem no sats/no lock returned. I did some more digging and found some had better results with the OG GB modem. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it since I have a replacement waiting on my desk. It had been my experience that the problem would resurface after the phone sat idle for an indeterminate amount of time, like sitting on the charger over night.
Enter UCLA1 modem.
I flashed it yesterday as last ditch effort to avoid the hassle of hacking another phone and restoring my original one, because I'm lazy like that and nothing is learned in that process. As of now, I've had a 100% success rate with UCLA1 and over night charging or leaving the phone idle.
I'll update this one more time for a final determination on my findings and hopefully to help others who are experiencing the same problems.